Saturday, July 21, 2007

Red dots, but no other punctuation

In the days before Clustr, it was fun to imagine who might come by and sit a bit with my thoughts. Despite the fact that I had no evidence to support that anyone was caught in one of my prongs, I still enjoyed thinking about these imaginary new acquaintances.

Now I have a pretty good handle on the location of those passers-by. As I mentioned previously, many of the dots coincide nicely with my sister's summer jaunt through the States. But, alas, the lone red dot on the map is the only way of knowing that my beloved sister dropped in to see me for a moment. She leaves no other evidence behind, which is not in keeping with her standard practice, I might add. (I have many memoirs from her stay in my home over Independence Day, for example.)

It is comforting, in a way, to have proof that she checks in from the road. It is also disturbing to find that she is Hitting-and-Running with Letters. Perhaps my small thoughts do not provoke any responses. Perhaps she now thinks it a threat to her career to be found on the blog of an amateur such as myself. I wouldn't know, for she doesn't leave any comments.

I am not a vindictive type, but I have decided that I will remain silent on her blog as well. I will visit, read, shed a tear or utter a guffaw, and move on. She is my mentor, after all.

Dear Sister, if you have come to place another dot, know you are welcome. I look forward to sitting in silence with you as we peruse each other's lives from afar. Godspeed.

1 comment:

ballast photography said...

Oh my, the drama of it all!! Evidently, you and all my other avid readers have bonded and formed a silence pact, as I've been saddened for days by the lack of commentary. I have not been neglectful on purpose. Life in the field is challanging. Days pass without Verizon, wifi, or even marked roads. I have had to beg, borrow and even steal internet rays to even compose scant posts to let anyone know that we have survived our harsh environs. Surfing the net for pleasure and socialization is not a luxury the desert affords. I can see from the gems of wisdom you posted from our friends at the Little A'Le'Inn that I should have been more prepared for these conditions. I can only hope you, along with my other readers will forgive my feeble efforts and once angain band together to support me though these barren times.