Monday, June 4, 2007

Tribute

Sixteen years ago today, I was frustrated. My niece - my own sister's child - had been born, and I was not allowed to see her. I was told that there were Grandparent visiting hours, and sibling visiting hours, but nothing for aunts.

So June 4, 1991 was also the birth date of my activist foundation: What About Aunts (WAA). Despite the effectiveness of the organization (I saw my niece whether the nurses liked it or not!), membership is still pretty sparse.

Sixteen years later, I'm still a frustrated aunt. I have a beautiful, intelligent and talented niece whom I know so well, and don't know at all. It's hard for WAA to lobby against miles.

Happy Birthday, Allison. I love you.

1 comment:

ballast photography said...

I know--I wisked away a tear myself while reading your post--but it's been three days now. We must carry on...onward, catherine, with witticisms and commentary! Awaiting your next post