Tuesday, May 29, 2007

I'm not smart after all

I was really tired last night. Which may explain why I suddenly got the urge to take a free on-line IQ test.

I should have realized no good would come of it when the first thing I read - in bold print- was that this was a timed test. I'm not good at timed. I don't like to be pressured into decision making. I like to reflect, analyze...stall if need be.

Ignoring the warnings, I clicked start and...stalled. Ok, so I didn't know the first question immediately. Surely they got easier!

I started rolling along when my husband, who had been dozing next to me, rolled as well. "What are you doing?" Now, call me insecure, but quite frankly I didn't want to reveal my current employ. He may go on about Spam, or internet security or some such. Heck, an on-line IQ test could give him enough material for an hour or more, and this was a timed test.

I did the only thing I could think of at the time. Minimize. "Oh, not much." I answered very casually. I started sweating a bit, realizing that the seconds were hastily ticking by. We engaged in small talk for a minute or two, until his eyelids grew heavy again. Usually, this is not a desired reaction during marital "communicating", but believe me, I was fine with it at the time.

Maximizing again, I tried to finish strong. But remember that I was very tired. If two typists can type two pages in five minutes, then how many typists does it take to type twenty pages in ten minutes? Now, in the light of day, the answer is alarmingly simple. Last night, it seemed like Environmental Chemistry. (Yes, I did take that class, and it ruined my 4.0 GPA. Environmental Chemistry is akin to electricians in my book.)

I wasn't pleased with the results. Apparently I'm not as smart as I always thought I was. One of my finer qualities; however, is my Weeble-like response to crisis. Pulling myself up by my rounded bottom, I saw the silver lining: a new excuse.

"I'm sorry, I really don't see how I can take on another fund-raising event for the school, I'm not really all that smart." "Start my Honors Thesis? Isn't that just for smart people?" "Find a witty conclusion to my blog? That's a job for 10 other typists."

1 comment:

ballast photography said...

LOL! You're really getting a knack for this :)