Sunday, August 12, 2007

Roughin' It

I was looking at the packing tips for our vacation destination - a Christian campground in the hills of Ohio - and noticed their request that all handheld games, iPods and other electronics be left at home to promote family quality time. "Surely that can't include computers!" I thought.

Now I was ready and willing to forego other modern amenities, but traveling without my laptop was akin to leaving some other needed accessory like, say, my contact lenses behind! My new novel was on the hard-drive after all, and all that fresh air and serenity was sure to be a writer's boon. The laptop was definitely coming.

We arrived, registered and located our rustic one-room cabin. As this was our second year, we knew what to expect. The cabins are complete with a small refrigerator, a microwave, and, new this year, air-conditioning, but have no running water.



We all absolutely love these cabins. We feel like the Ingalls. Well, the Ingalls with air conditioning, a refrigerator and a microwave. We quickly made the cabin homey and set out to meet the neighbors. In truth, we didn't actually need to meet the neighbors, since our real neighbors from good old Pa were also our Ohio cabin neighbors!

Anyway, the next few days were filled with spiritual growth and "holy fun". There were trails to hike, horses to ride, services to attend, ill children to tend and deluges to survive. Before I knew it, Friday had arrived and it was time to pack for home. I picked up my computer bag from the corner and put it in the van. It was the first time I touched it all week.



1 comment:

ballast photography said...

How did your novel fare during your electronics abstinance? Did you experience flashes of insight in the recesses of your relaxed mind? If so, were you able to jot them down in the sand with a stick? Or did you have paper? I seem to remember a Little House episode depicting Ma with some stationery. Glad you're back, in any event, particularily with the rare photojournalistic elements.